Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The absurdity of homeschooling.

When will people (particularly the homeschool community) realize that you cannot always Christianize everything?  When will they realize that teaching solely from a "Biblical worldview" actually carries a lot of danger?  When will they understand that their children are more likely to write off Christianity as a whole because they've spent their whole lives having Jesus shoved down their throats?  When will they understand that in their attempts to "train their child in the way he should go" they are causing their child to view God as some impersonal enforcer of rules?  When will they realize that their actions are actually producing the opposite effect of what they're intending to do?  It's foolishness, and it's dangerous.

I dunno.  Maybe it's just me...but parents' attempts to raise their children "the right way" and the whole concept of homeschooling is so bogus.  I know these aren't ALWAYS the intentions parents have when they choose to homeschool their kids...but 99 percent of the time, it is.
And it pisses me off.

3 comments:

  1. I personally plan on homeschooling my children. Not for the purpose of shoving christianity down their throats or making their decisions for them. The reason I want to homeschool my kids is to give them a love for their family & a respect for other humans. I know that I am a much better person than I would have been if I had stayed in school. I make better decisions & am not easily influenced by others. Thats just my view. Might not be correct...but it sure seems like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we can agree to disagree. Each person is different..but in my experience, the negative effects of homeschooling far outweigh the positive effects.

    I feel like you can teach your kids to love their family and other humans just as easily, if not more when you put them into school. That way you aren't holding them back from the world...but placing them in it and training them as they go along. To often in the homeschool community, kids are so oblivious to the harsh reality of life because their parents feel such topics are "inappropriate." When these kids get to the real world, they have to clue what to do with the things they discover.

    I dunno. I understand where you're coming from, and no judgements for your desire to homeschool your children, I just have a lot of issues with it, personally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS, this post came from a conversation I had with my mom last night. We were discussing classes I'm going to take next semester at Gulf Coast. When I mentioned American Government, she tried suggesting that I take an online course at Patrick Henry because they approach government from a "Biblical worldview." It just really ticked me off.
    She's taught me about Jesus from the moment I was conceived. Sixteen years later, it should be engrained in my head. This is the point where what I believe is not in their control. They can't try to shelter me from other worldviews and other political opinions. I'm at the age were I'm forming my own opinions. Homeschoolers are always talking about how college is the place to "challenge their children's faith and let their children be a light to others," but when the time comes for that to happen, they turn into little religious pussies and get scared of practicing what they preach. Placing me in a safe Christian environment will not challenge me at all. My mom's just scared because she knows we already have differing views on both theology and politics. Anyway, last night's conversation is what initiated this post.

    ReplyDelete